I haven't shared a lot of Paleo recipes lately, because I've been on a huge Summer drink kick. I figure it's time to get back to sharing what you guys love so much and share a delicious Paleo recipe that will be perfect for Summer indulgences! This Paleo fresh cherry sauce is the perfect addition to your recipe rotation!
- 4 cups sweet cherries, pitted
- 2 large dates, halved and seeded
- Juice of one small lemon, approximately 1 teaspoon
- Juice of one large orange, approximately 1/2 cup
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Add the cherries and dates to a large skillet and bring to a simmer. Turn down to medium-low, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, use a fine grater to grate one teaspoon of zest from the orange and then set it aside for later.
- Cut the orange in half and squeeze the juice out of it into a small bowl and set this aside as well.
- After the sauce has cooked for 10 minutes, carefully remove the dates, one cup of the cherries and one cup of the juice that has accumulated in the pan. Add to a food processor (like this one!) and blend until completely smooth, adding more liquid if necessary.
- Return the puree back to the pan along with the juice from the orange. Stir and taste for sweetness. If necessary, you can some honey or any all-natural sweetener.
- Cook at a gentle simmer until it reaches the desired thickness. Mine didn't need any additional cooking at this point, but your cherries might be juicier and need additional cooking time. The sauce will reduce the longer it cooks and continue to thicken.
- When the sauce has thickened to your liking, remove it from the heat and stir in the orange zest,
- Let cool completely and serve over ice cream, pancakes, waffles, cheesecake or use it as a base for cobblers and crisps! You can even mix this with vanilla ice cream for a quick and easy Cherry Vanilla dessert, which is what we did 😉
If you decide to try this Paleo fresh cherry sauce, let me know how you enjoyed it! I'd love to hear from my readers about this recipe! Don't forget to click on "The Paleo Corner" to find more Paleo recipes and meal plans!